Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director-Physical Plant for plumbing and pipefitting work and for maintaining HVAC systems, which may include related electrical work. Incumbents may work with students, team members, college employees, guests of the college and vendors, treating all with respect. Also is responsible for performing general maintenance work to include carpentry, electrical, plumbing, snow removal and other cleaning/repairs. Incumbents may work with students, team members, college employees and guests of the college, treating all with respect. Work may be performed in multiple assigned buildings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Install and repair cooling equipment for air conditioning, plumbing lines, equipment, refrigeration equipment, boilers, heat pumps, furnaces, and HVAC lines.
2) Perform preventive maintenance on heating and cooling equipment.
3) Maintain parts and equipment inventory. Obtain prices for and order parts, equipment, and supplies.
4) Perform remodeling on existing plumbing, heating and cooling systems and electrical repairs as needed for HVAC systems.
5) Relocate piping and related plumbing.
6) Perform preventive maintenance.
7) Work individually and collaboratively with general maintenance staff and trades staff in completion of work orders.
8) Effectively utilize the work order system and respond to assigned tasks in a timely manner.
9) Assist with moves, setups, and snow removal.
10) Perform basic electrical work. Although not inclusive, this includes changing outlets, switches, lights, ballasts, etc.
11) Perform basic carpentry work. Although not inclusive, this includes repair of furniture, replacing floor tiles, minor wall repair, etc.
12) If applicable, operate, repair and maintain building specific equipment (e.g. variable voltage power units, gas valves, lab top benches, ice machines, etc)
13) Repair washers, dryers, screens, blinds, vacuum cleaners and windows.
14) Check fire alarm, emergency lights and fire panels. Investigate and report roof leaks.
15) Clean outside areas directly around buildings and remove snow and ice.
16) Remove trash and recycling from designated receptacles.
17) Perform floor restoration duties as scheduled and duties related to event setups and teardowns as needed, which includes moving furniture.
18) Perform other related duties as assigned.
Definite objectives are set up for the employee by the supervisor, requiring the use of a wide range of procedures. With input from the supervisor, the employee plans and arranges his/her own work and refers only unusual cases to the supervisor.
• Journeyman plumbing license required
• Lead removal certification and refrigerant recovery certification.
• Appliance license preferred.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Ability to lift over 50 pounds
• Ability to work with arms above shoulder height
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.