LANDSCAPER AND GROUNDSKEEPER
WARTBURG COLLEGE POSITION DESCRIPTION
Date Prepared: March 2023
LANDSCAPER AND GROUNDSKEEPER
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director-Cleaning and Maintenance for maintaining and improving landscaping and assists with grounds to include mowing, trimming, snow removal. Incumbent may work with students, team members, college employees, guests of the college and vendors, treating all with respect.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities :
- Perform maintenance and upkeep of the grounds, including mowing and trimming grass, spraying weeds, spreading mulch, picking up trash.
- Mow grass and prune trees and shrubs
- Treat lawn and landscaping with pesticides to remove harmful insects.
- Maintain the existing landscaping design and ensure plant survival.
- Plant new flowers, bushes, plants, and decorative shrubs
- Plan, share ideas and implement approved landscaping plans.
- Remove snow and ice from walks, drives, and parking lots; spread salt and sand.
- Plant shrubs, trees, and flowers; trim, water, and weed flowerbeds.
- Maintain and clean the campus fountain.
- Prepare vehicles and trailers for trips (check fluid levels, lights & tires, add or remove seating as necessary)
- If applicable, supervise student workers. Utilizing procedures outlined for student employees, assist in creating a positive work experience for student employees.
- Maintain tractors, mowers, trimmers, and other grounds equipment.
- Work collaboratively with general maintenance staff and trades staff in completion of work orders.
- Effectively utilize the work order system and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Assist with moves and setups.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Employee is responsible for determining own work assignments referring to standard procedures, policies, and general objectives for guidance. Employee independently devises new methods to meet conditions and confers with supervisor regarding unusual matters.
Basic oral, written and math skills.
Previous experience with horticultural practices preferred.
Minimum educational requirements include a high school diploma or equivalent.
2 years of experience as a crew member landscaping for residential or commercial properties preferred.
Experience with a variety of hand tools and maintenance equipment including clippers, chain saws, lawnmowers, snowblowers, tractors, blowers, edgers, rakes, and hedge trimmers.
Ability to lift over 50 pounds.
Ability to work with arms above shoulder height.
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
WARTBURG COLLEGE is a fully accredited four-year, coeducational liberal arts college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. As an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity institution, Wartburg College actively seeks applications from women and members of ethnic and minority groups.