Youth Service Worker
The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) and Department of Human Services (DHS) merged on July 1, 2022 to form one agency, The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We are seeking a Youth Services Worker (YSW) to join the team at the State Training School (STS) in Eldora, which provides supportive counseling and behavioral health treatment for young men, ages 12-18, who were adjudicated delinquent. This position helps with daily activities of students, maintaining order, and safety in their living units; assures youth receive emergency medical assistance when needed and ensures the environment is safe.
This is a full-time opportunity with a 4-day, 10 hours a day, work week. Starting pay is $19.23 per hour. We are looking to fill evening and overnight positions primarily at this time. We also offer a strong opportunity for advancement, growth, and development.
If you enjoy rewarding yet challenging work, helping young men find stability in their lives and security in their future, this is this the right job for you. Your work at the STS has the potential to help these young men and change their future.
We have a great total compensation package for all of our full-time employees, including:
- Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System (IPERS)
- Retirement Investors Club (RIC) (Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan)
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays (9 days/year)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- This location offers free on campus gym for the staff, during off student hours. This includes 3 full size basketball courts, a weight room with machine and free weights, cardio equipment, showers, and lockers.
For additional information on benefits click here (Download PDF reader).
STS is located in Eldora, Iowa, a quaint community with a population of 2,800 residents, located in north central Iowa. Eldora is an Iowa River Greenbelt Community and the Iowa River Greenbelt Scenic Drive winds through a picturesque landscape of valleys, woods, and streams.
Eldora is 45 minutes away from Ames and Cedar Falls, 30 minutes from Marshalltown, and only 20 minutes from Iowa Falls. Des Moines, Iowa’s capital, is just 1 hour and 15 minutes away.
- Ames, Iowa is the home of the Iowa State University, one of the nation’s largest Universities featuring a premier Engineering school and one of the leading Veterinary and Agricultural schools. https://www.iastate.edu/
- Cedar Falls is the home of the University of Northern Iowa, https://uni.edu/
- Iowa Falls is the home of Ellsworth Community College. https://ecc.iavalley.edu
- Des Moines has one of the nation’s finest State Fairs and is home to the Iowa Cubs, Wells Fargo Arena host site of NCAA Basketball, premier concerts, and Lauridsen Skatepark, the nation’s largest skatepark.
The State of Iowa is an EEO/AA Employer
HHS values those with “lived experience” and encourages foster youth, foster parents, and/or parents who were in the DHS system to apply. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply (Hearing and Speech Impaired – Relay Iowa 1-800-735-2942 TDD).
Our agency uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Graduation from high school or G.E.D.;
experience equal to two years of full-time work in a youth service program working directly in the treatment of adjudicated, at risk, or other youths needing service or assistance.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader) and minimum qualifications.
Additional Qualification Requirements
Designated positions in this job class require applicants and/or incumbents to possess a valid driver's license.