Machinist - Diesel Engine Locomotive
MACHINIST – DIESEL ENGINE LOCOMOTIVE
Iowa Northern Railway has two immediate openings for second or third shift machinist in Waterloo, Iowa. This position is responsible for servicing and maintaining diesel locomotives in accordance with federal and company regulations. This includes diagnoses of mechanical problems on the diesel engine, air compressor, trucks and running gear and making appropriate repairs. Also includes testing, inspecting and properly repairing the mechanical and air components of locomotive systems, equipment, and machinery.
- Inspect and repair locomotive components for compliance with Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations and company operating standards.
- Provide locomotive maintenance, including repairs, replacing, and adjusting parts and components; assembling as related to the diesel engine, air compressor, radiator, trucks and carbody.
- Repair running gears such as wheels, springs, hangers, brake rigging and traction motors.
- Test and repair brake systems, safety appliances, couplers, draft systems, air compressors, safety valves, lube oil pump, filter systems, fuel systems, radiators and shutters.
- Install, disassemble, assemble, repair or replace locomotive diesel engine components.
- Service locomotives added fuel and other necessary supplies. Perform daily inspections, scheduled and preventative maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Diagnose locomotive component malfunctions related to the diesel engine, air compressor and other components.
- Troubleshoot and repair PTC (positive train control)
- Complete inspection, work, and maintenance reports.
- Responsible for performing duties and working hours as scheduled, including overtime, holidays, nights, weekends, and travel as necessary.
- Perform other essential and nonessential functions as assigned, including tasks normally assigned to other composite mechanics, such as electrician and Carman and laborer.
- Move locomotives within mechanical department limits.
High school graduate or equivalent required. Must have a valid driver’s license with no more than 3 violations in the last 3 years and no major violations (i.e., reckless operations or D.U.I.’s).
Experience as a qualified railroad machinist preferred. Must possess a mechanical aptitude. Must attend and understand company training as assigned.
For more information on Iowa Northern or to complete an application online please visit
Interested applicants should submit application to email@example.com or fax application to 319-232-1996, or mail to:
Iowa Northern Railway Company,
201 Tower Park Drive, Suite 300,
Waterloo, IA 50701
This will be a full-time hourly position and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen required. E/O/E