Electrician- 2nd Shift- Diesel Engine Locomotive
ELECTRICIAN – DIESEL ENGINE LOCOMOTIVE
Iowa Northern Railway has an immediate opening for second or third shift electrician in Waterloo, Iowa. This position is responsible for performing electrical inspection, maintenance and repair activities on locomotives in the repair shops, on service tracks, on line of road and occasionally on other railroad equipment/property. In addition, this position is responsible for testing, inspecting and properly repairing the electrical components of locomotive systems, equipment, and machinery.
- Inspect and repair locomotive components for compliance with Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations and company operating standards.
- Test, inspect and repair switches, heaters, DC power systems, event recorder tapes, lights water coolers, batteries, low voltage systems, high voltage systems, traction motors, cooling fans and fuel pumps.
- Troubleshoot, repair, install, inspect, calibrate, and replace high-voltage mechanical and electro-magnetic equipment, perform preventative maintenance on a variety of tools/equipment and machinery to ensure proper function.
- Repair and/or replace components ranging in size from relatively small, such as contractors, relays, breakers, to large, such as reversers. Provide locomotive electrical maintenance, including repairs, replacing, and adjusting parts and components.
- Monitor electrical components to troubleshoot any problem.
- Service and perform daily inspections on locomotives, add fuel and other necessary supplies.
- Test circuits and connections using electrical test equipment.
- Complete inspection work and maintenance
- Perform other essential and nonessential functions as assigned, including tasks normally assigned to other composite mechanics, such as machinist and Carman, and laborer.
- Responsible for performing duties and working hours as scheduled, including overtime, holidays, nights, weekends, and travel as necessary.
- Move Locomotives within mechanical department limits.
- Trouble shoot and repair PTC (positive train control).
High school graduate or equivalent required. Must have a valid driver’s license with no more than 3 violations in the last 3 years and no major violations (i.e., reckless operations or D.U.I.’s).
Experience as a qualified Railroad electrician preferred but not required. HVAC experience helpful. Must possess electrical aptitude. Must attend and understand company training as assigned.
For more information on Iowa Northern or to complete an application online, please click apply now!
This will be a full-time hourly position and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen required.